Some great Twitter chat last week got me thinking about the New Year, resolutions, a few things I will do differently and the same.
Twitter is my network of choice for a reason: it works. It works because my Twitter habits are pretty solid and I put it the time, effort. As a result there ARE results on my investment, and Twitter totally amps my business networking. For 2011 I’ll add:
- Chats. I love the #soloPR chat, so I want to participate in more chats on integrated communications, small business marketing.
- Conversations: Better tweeting to add to the mix of news, links and RTs I share.
- Network: I’d like to expand on my already great network. Find more folks to follow, earn more followers.
More eggs, multiple baskets
I don’t want to spread myself too thin and yet, as a solo PR I can’t limit my options so I will see about adding and integrating other networks.
- LinkedIn has brought me success and connections, so I plan to step up my networking via Answers, Updates, Marketing and PR Groups.
- Amplify has a lot of potential, so I will see how best to use add to Twitter, LinkedIn and my blog.
- YouTube and the power of its search engine can’t be overlooked. I made my first video a while back, will probably do more as well as curate and share my business channel.
Back to basics
[stextbox id=”alert” float=”true” align=”right” width=”350″ bcolor=”000000″ bgcolor=”ede8ec” image=”null”][poll id=”2″][/stextbox]
Looking at my own business practices, there is certainly room for improvement.
- The business. I am my own boss and gotta do a better job of being a good leader, trying new things, making the hard choices and running my business.
- The website IS my storefront and it’s due for an update. Still debating on the mix of RapidWeaver and WordPress or going all WordPress, but first up is streamlining the navigation, layout for a cleaner design. Second is making the content approachable for all readers and visitors.
- My blog is my social media white paper, my public relations resume and has become the hub of marketing my business, so it needs to be front and center. Big blog goals for 2011:
- Post better, shorter, smarter, more often.
- Break out of my public relations and social media posts, as I wear other hats like design.
- Write for potential clients as well as industry peers.
- Pay attention to the technical hoo doo, analytics and SEO.
- Promote my own blog more.
Get real. Social networking is great for me, but it’s time to make more real world connections. I enjoy my PRSA ICF and Smyrna Business Association meetings, so more meet-ups are on the list.
Exercise. There are some nice walking trails around Atlanta, maybe I’ll get off my ass and actually visit some.
Anything you think I should differently this year, or keep doing?
Photo credit: I could use a Someecard almost every post, they crack me up.