Thinking a lot about Twitter – as if all the links don’t give me away – it’s my social network of choice. NO I don’t want to marry it and make little Twitter babies, but it’s still gotta be my fave right after blogs.
- I still think 100% automation bites the big one, but I’ve already said I was wrong about scheduling.
- I have now added Brian’s Follow Back on the list of NOT, along with vile Auto-DMs.
- I still don’t tweet about lunch but once in a while, I’ll tweet about food.
Just say no.
- I say no to the needy who also want to be my Facebook friend, connect on LinkedIn.
- Don’t care about your Klout score, but usually I say no to those with lopsided follow/follower ratios, off kilter tweet stats.
- I probably say no to those with no bios, no links, or too many links in their bio. Not always deal breakers, but gives me second thoughts.
- I say no to following eggs and tend to block porny Gravatars. See also, Joey Strawn’s how to write a crappy Twitter profile.
More signs you might be an unfollowed tweeter..
- If you tweet nothing but hashtag vomit, add 23 tags to every tweet.
- If you add your own biz hashtag to every damn tweet. Eyeroll.
- If you tweet nothing but FourSquare check-ins.
- If you tweet nothing but feeds from your other sites.
- If you retweet yourself all the time. Like running an ad saying, “Congratulations, you’re following a douchebag.”
- If you tweet nothing but RTs.
- If they never attribute the original source or tweeter, that’s tacky.
- If they’re never, ever personalized, file that one under “Hell no, I won’t follow.”
- If you tweet nothing but uplifting quotes. Now if they’re mean and snarky, or overheard in the newsroom hilarity, we’re in business.
- If you tweet too much about your stats: comments, tweets, follows, the nobodycares lists and rankings.
How dumb was I?
Don’t care. I have moved some more ‘personal’ to my business tweets in efforts to strike a better balance, happily cheering the Braves and LSU or chatting wine once in a while. There is a line somewhere, don’t want to scare the fish away with evenings of ‘OMG the fail.. what is the bleepery? I blanking hate this bloody bleep” rants and ravings.
Bottom line: I am so glad I joined Twitter. If nothing else I get to baffle followers with my texting slang, that’s always fun. FWIW.
What are your Twitter rules? Where do you draw your follow and unfollow lines?
Photo credit: Funny Blaugh comic.