Seems to be going around. It’s your Twitter, do whatever the hell you want. Promise you, that be my plan.
Unfollow Friday, Part Three, Act LDXV, Version 4.7
Whenever I do this I nix mostly news, bots, RSS feeds – anything that’s push only. (Fare thee well Social Media Today; you’re still in the Reader). I also look at people, what value I get from what they tweet, very WIIFM per my Twitter rules.
- Not giving two wits about your Klout score, though I’ve been tempted to peak at what influence PeerIndex says I don’t have, just to see.
- Automation overload. Tools are nice, scheduling works but too much of a good thing – that’s getting some more unfollows, especially since I can now Circle you on Google+. Until you figure out how to program and noise that up too.
- Platitudinal randomness. I like quotes, I get quotes but random tweets of “time is like an ocean, make your bed” aren’t moving my furniture these days.
- My streams a little organizationally challenged, so seeing if following lists makes things any easier.
- Profile pictures of bacon or kittens, that’s just cheating. Dancing, animated avatars, please say no.
- Content, engagement, fun, interest. Winner, winner, winner… that’s what I want, from a funny feed like OHnewsroom or a clever blogger who gets it, whether they tweet 10 or 50 times a day.
Insert whiny chorus of [whah whah ‘need to get more from Twitter‘ whah] here. Think I’ve zapped a few dozen this week, moved a few people to Lists or Google+ instead. This is of course requires looking at the streams to see what’s what, which has another benefit: I’m noticing people again and actually taking the time to be social. Whataya know.
What moves you to break out the unfollow button? Besides posts like this.