What we learn as kids sticks with us, right? Look both ways. It’s good to share. Old MacDonald had a farm.
Bill Seaver, who knows from blog content, posted over on Social Media Examiner that I could learn social media from Old MacDonald, and I have to agree. His five EIEIO benchmarks for compelling content that earns attention:
- E – Entertain.
- I – Inspire.
- E – Educate.
- I – Inform.
- O – Outrage.
Educate and inform may be a little redundant, but this is great advice for creating content. The more your Twitter, Facebook and YouTube content fit these criteria, the better it’ll be at earning attention of your community by offering real value.
I love stealing good ideas
Taking it beyond content creation, here’s my E-I-E-I-O of social media.
- E is for Engage. Without engagement, participation from others there isn’t much point. It’s static, it’s broadcasting not social. I comment on more blogs than my own, tweet, participate in LinkedIn groups and yet, it’s not enough. There are more opportunities out there, to connect and engage with others, potential clients and colleagues, other people.
- I as in Include. It’s a community, not a country club. Social media should not about excluding others but including different points of view, other perspectives. There are tons of great blogs and bloggers out there, so I’m grateful when a Redhead Writing crosses my path.
- E can also Encourage. We’re part of an online community and everyone needs a little motivation, support and encouragement now and then. Share, post, comment, retweet. Take the time to find and recognize a lesser known, but no less talented bloggers. I think my twitter feed reflects that, as I’m as likely to share something by a Neicole Crepeau as a Chris Brogan.
- I for Initiate. Don’t wait for others, start something. Ask a question, share it, start that blog or post that video. Seeing a need for a Small to Medium Business group, Jayme Soulati and others have launched SMB Collective, complete with Twitter chat and more.
- O for Open. Open APIs, open forums, open up to others, other ideas, open to your own crazy ideas, your own creations. Open the box, see what’s inside.
For my next trick I’ll put it all together, make it work and take over my corner of the social media and PR world.
Something I missed? Share it in comments.